Pine, Upper Manistee considered for ‘Natural Rivers’ designation|
State Department of Natural Resources today announced a series of public hearings to discuss designation of the Pine River and Upper Manistee River as Natural Rivers under authority of Natural Rivers Act.
The hearings allow the public to offer testimony regarding the draft Natural River Management Plans written for both rivers. Each hearing will open with a one-hour information session where Natural Rivers Program staff will be available to answer questions.
Interested residents can provide verbal comments on either plan at any hearing location. Written comments may be submitted to Steve Sutton, Department of Natural Resources, Fisheries Division, PO Box 30446, Lansing, MI 48909, or by e-mail to SUTTONSL@michigan.gov.
The public comment period will remain open until June 8. Following the public comment period, both draft Management Plans and the public comment record will be submitted to the DNR Director for review and a final decision. Copies of the draft Management Plans can be found on the internet at www.Michigan.gov/dnr , or by requesting a copy at the address given above or in person from the County Clerk’s office in those counties scheduled for public hearing. Hearing dates are listed below.
1. April 28, 6-9 p.m., Manistee High School Auditorium, Manistee
2. April 29, 1-4 p.m., Hollister Senior Center, Baldwin
3. April 29, 6-9 p.m., Reed City High School, Reed City
4. April 30, 6-9 p.m., Lake City High School Auditorium, Lake City
5. May 1, 6-9 p.m., Kalkaska High School Auditorium, Kalkaska
6. May 2, 6-9 p.m., Senior High School Cafeteria, Cadillac
7. May 3, 1-4 p.m., Grayling Middle School Cafeteria, Grayling ,
8. May 5, 1-4 p.m., Bellaire Senior Center, Bellaire
9. May 5, 6-9, p.m., Gaylord Intermediate School, Gaylord
10. May 6, 6-9 p.m., Southfield High School Library, Southfield
11. May 7, 6-9 p.m., Central High School Auditorium, Grand Rapids
12. May 8, 6-9 p.m., Okemos High School Kiva, Lansing